Wednesday 18 December 2013

QUAD ESL-63 Electrostatic Speakers




I was walking round a boot fair one day and what stood before my mortal eyes? 
Quad ESL-63... Life is good sometimes...

Got them home, plugged them in, gave them an hour to warm up. Sadly there was some slight popping from one but I had to push on and hear what these could do. I had a Sansui BA-2000 hanging around so I used this to test them, I also used my Creek CD60 as a source.

I was hoping for something amazing from these as the little research Id done had revealed a wealth of information and dedicated fan base for these lovely speakers. Some were even calling the ESL-63 the best speaker of all time.

From the moment I first heard them I knew they were different from anything Id heard before. The sound was so open and realistic. The top end was smooth yet detailed but maybe lacking a little in the extreme. The bass was very impressive, in the right position with good equipment, you wont be disappointed. I was having a whale of a time but I couldn't help but feel there was something wrong. I was enjoying the listening experience but I grew a little tired of the sound-stage. Everything was so everywhere for me, I could hear all the instruments but struggled to pin point their position in the stereo image. I also knew that they would never blow my socks off or shake the house with transmission line rumble.

 

So how would I sum up these wonderful speakers that people pay thousands for?   Easy

If you have the money and you love that electrostatic sound, I'd go for these because Im sure nothing will bring you more electrostatic pleasure than these or maybe the more mellow sounding ESL-57? 
I'm no electrostatic expert but on the rare occasions I've heard them, I always feel the same: nice but not what I'm looking for.

 

So overall a wonderful sound and a great musical presentation. Lovely warm bass which must extend down to 40hz at times. Such a smooth sound but with all of the detail, a very tricky balance but the confused stereo image did spoil things for me a little. If you like jazz and classical you're in for a real treat and these would certainly then be one of the greatest speakers ever but personally I remain firmly perched on the fence.

Until the next time...

1 comment:

  1. Many years ago, (1971), I worked with a guy in Ottawa who had two banks of 3 Quad electrostatic speakers. Me being a young punk was impressed by the size of each bank, (probably about 6' tall), and then he turned them on. He was into what I called serious music, (classic orchestral). I was sure we were sitting right in the middle of the orchestra it was that good without being overpowering. I often wondered what happened to his system when he died a few years later. But I will never forget the sound.

    ReplyDelete